Friday, February 21, 2014

Rediscovering Acceptance

Dear Friends,
Today's blog comes by style of a letter as I wanted to write each of you on a more personal level.  

Recently, I've found myself in an old familiar territory; a place I have traversed upon at times in this life, with each time enjoying a heightened invigoration of a new breath of fresh air.  I have rediscovered acceptance.

Many of my posts have been rooted out of eye witness experiences during life's tumultuous storms.    But now I write from a different perspective; from life after the storm, where the air is fresh, the sun is bright and the birds chirp louder than ever.   It feels good.

I pen these words for two reasons, the latter being the more important.  First, I write to say that acceptance can be found as I've found it myself, praise be to God.  Second, my hope and prayer is that you are able to find it too.

What exactly is acceptance in one's life?  The best I can describe it is in the act of simply saying "ok" to God.  For me, its when I finally stopped fighting for my will and said "ok" to His.  While I've often tried to take every step to follow His will, there is a part of me (and likely all of us) that have a pre-determined mindset of how things should play out.  I like my plans.  But when they go South.... grrrr!  

Acceptance took root the moment I surrendered those plans.  Course, I've done this a million times before... so what was the difference now?  I think I finally decided to let go of the plans and NOT TAKE THEM BACK.  I'm not going to try to burst onto God's scene and be in charge of God's plan for me.  I created a new boundary that pretty much said: "No more fighting.  It is what it is and I'm ok with it.  I accept it."  

At this moment, wouldn't you know a calm came over the storm?  The command "peace be still" was felt.

From this process of trusting, obeying, surrendering, then finding acceptance, also came hope: a new friend that I'd like to keep around for a while.  Now, a new spark exists in my step.  My mind is more freed up.  The ability to give and receive is there in greater force.  The outlook on the future is a whole light brighter too.  

See, its when we finally let go of something that has wanted to be free but instead clung onto, that we realize we were really hindering ourselves all along.  I liken it to an insect that when caught continually stings you until you let it fly to where it wants to go. 

I had to also take that stance with some of my previous outlooks.  I had to say to these mainplayers:  its time for you to go.  I'm tired of this.  Course, they didn't want to leave the party.  They were having too much fun.  A hay day if you willl.  But, I kicked them out and locked the door.  They tried the 'ol hoist the door down with a log (like in old times).  But, with the power of God, the door stood firm and they soon tired out, limping along their way back to wence they came. 

I also had to address the sideline numbskulls of Settling and Compromise.  These morons wanted to ridicule and chide me.  But, God showed me that when we accept His will as it is, we have chosen the best option.  There is no settling for less in choosing God's will.   There is also no "you compromised yourself" or "you sold out" when you accept His plan over your own.  If God has deemed something in your life, it is imperative that you move forward in that direction.   Thus, Settling and Compromise also got the 'ol heave ho, joining the others out the door.

Another thing that I had to adjust to... I had to get used to my thorn, my lot in life and I had to accept my own weaknesses in where I fall short.  I had to stop and listen to what these were.  For any Type-A personality, stopping is no easy task.  We are doers!  And its when I finally did this that I found the grace and acceptance to move forward, preservere on and rest in God's strength.  

Above all, I really hope that you find the same as well.  As believers, one of our blessings is the realization that when there is purpose in our sufferings, it is as though all is not lost.  Thus, I count it a joy to share these findings with you.  My sincere hope is that you too may discover the wonders of a life in a acceptance to God's plan.  

You might have experienced loss in the forms of:  Difficulty.  Drama.  Divorce.  Death.  Depression.  Disappointment.  Defeat.  Devastation... is there a reason all these woes start with a D?  Dang.

Whatever your situation is, please know that you are in a season... which at some point, will pass.   I don't know how long it is, but I do know that there is a moment where the clouds do part, the sun does shine and as disbelieving as I've been to even think that the sunshine would ever exist for me again... it did.    

Below is a link to a song that really helped me years ago when I found myself in a deep, dark passageway.  


"Jesus, Draw Me Nearer" 
© Keith and Kristyn Getty

I bid you well and Godspeed.  May your day, either rainy or full of sun, be one where you too find a new breath of fresh air.


As I hear the birds chirp outside, 
I stand in awe of the One who constantly stands by my side.  
With Him will I continue on, as He leads, 
for His grace is continually sufficient for me.  
Air on the wings of the wind shall I fly.  
Low in the fields, at times, shall I abide.  
But whether I am high above, or down below, 
I know the hope when acceptance coincides.


"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want...."  (Phil 4:12)  Click here to find the secret.

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe," (Eph. 1:18-19).

"My grace is sufficient for you.  My power is made perfect in weakness," (2 Cor. 12:9). 

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God," (2 Cor. 1:3-5).

Blessings,
Candice


© Candice Irion.

Want to know the step-by-step way I found acceptance? 

1.  Trust:  I recognized that God was in control.  Not me.  Not I.  I had to trust His ways in how things turned out because I really was frustrated about it.  
Is. 55:8  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways declares the Lord."

2.  Obey:  I had to apply this trust and follow through by saying "Ok, God.  It's not MY way.  It's NOT how I would have done it.  But what is my way, anyway?  For it is YOU who knows, reasons, understands better."  

3.  Surrender:  Then, taking this step of obedience a step further, I had to not just say "Ok," but also lay down my way, placing it on God's altar and taking not just a step back, but removing myself far, far out of the way, to where I couldn't return to snatch back my will.  I had to leave it on the altar for God to do with it as He wills.  

4.  Acceptance:  After laying out my will and letting go of what I wanted, I found the freedom to re-look at God's will and again say: "Ok.  It is as it is."  I didn't have to fight so hard.  I could take things as they come instead of demanding life be my way.  

5.  Hope:  Maybe the best step of the list as it is both a marker of progression as well as a catalyst to instill more trust for journeying through steps 2, 3 and 4 on a continual basis.  Hope is the sweet spot of renewal.  It is the point where you can both look back and look forward; being at peace with all sides.  

Most especially, hope is when you can look to God with a heart of gratitude for His comfort, guidance and never letting us go, that you can fully know the dark passage has lifted.  Sunny days are ahead.  

Whatever the step we find ourselves, may God forever be praised.



Copy content, Poem and Photo © Candice Irion.  All Rights Reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment